Saturday, June 03, 2006

The saying "Getting there is half the fun" became obsolete with the advent of commercial airlines. (Henry J. Tillman)

Well, Nadine, you'll be glad to know that I did return in one piece. My final weekend in London was filled with lots of old friends... food... tea (it was London after all). I checked all the major tourist sites off the list with my friend Susan. I met her train at King's Cross station and, since I was early, tried to find platform nine-and-three-quarters... as I hear it semi-exists... but due to construction I couldn't even find platform nine!
Susan and I were rather shocked to find that the tower of London is not a cylindrical stand-alone structure as we had anticipated. Granted, we didn't pay up to enter the establishment but from the outside there were about five different towers. It poured for most of the day, so I feel that I got the full London experience. We had dinner Saturday night with many friends. (Maria and her brother Michael spent Saturday in the emergency room having Mike's infected toe sliced open. After that we had to walk a little slower!)

I wanted to go to a show at the Globe but I've read Coriolanus and had no desire to stand and listen to it for three hours. (Please excuse me if you thought Roman politics was Shakespeare's best idea.) Since it was a Sunday night, there really weren't any shows in London at all (granted, Stomp was playing... but really, people, a few raccoons in the garbage cans and you've got yourself the same effect). So there we go: a weekend in London and no show. We were en route to see Nick's (Helen's brand-spankin'-new husband) band play when we heard the rest of the band had gotten stuck in traffic and were unable to make it.

On to Toronto. On to Calgary. I'm home. The End.

Oh, and I graduated yesterday. Kudos to me.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on graduating!! I hope that you had a wonderful day! And thanks for the enlightenment on the tower of London...Craziness!!!!

Anyway, now you will have to let us all know what comes next...

PS - I love the blog title!! Very insightful!

7:53 PM  
Blogger renae plett. said...

I just read all your blogs on your entire trip!! WOW! thanks for the postcard too. sound like you had an amazing trip and even being "alone" was ok.....I must read more Austen...just finished pride and prejudice actually, but sounds like there are a few more goodies of hers out there. I shall call you soon ;)

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home