A Series of 'Fortunate' Events
So I was talked into visiting Scotland. I caught a bus in Cirencester at 10:30am on Monday en route to Edinburgh through Birmingham. However, within 15 minutes a beeping sound began and we pulled into a garage to discover battery problems. (Where I also discovered that orange jumpsuits mean 'mechanic' not 'convict' in this country.) However, the garage couldn't fix the problem so off to Gloscester hearing snippets of conversation ("you'll find you'll lose your indicators soon"), into Gloscester bus station to pick up passengers, on to the garage where they wouldn't fix a bus with people on it, back to the bus station where we sat in the cold for a couple hours.
4 hours since departure = 16 miles from point of departure.
Finally a school bus came to move us to Birmingham where the bus company was working to make up for the fact that we'd all missed out connections. Although I did entertain the thought of being stuck in Birmingham overnight (ugh!), mostly I thought, "How exciting to see how God will work this one out!"
At Birmingham, a train ticket was waiting for me. My train was to get in an hour before my bus would have in Edinburgh. I met a man named Duncan and we got a taxi with another couple who, to our amusement told the driver, "We're off to Glasgow and this couple's going to Edinburgh." Duncan and I were on the same train so we sat together and chatted for the full three or four hours. He's a Scottish country ranger with a history/archeology degree now studying Chinese medicine. Anyway, we had a lot in common, had some good laughs and he tried to see how gullible I was as he told me about the different countryside.
Irvine's picked me up from the train and drove through town so I could see the castle at night.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home